Get the Look: Lizzo’s Afro Bun for the BET Awards [PHOTOS + VIDEO]
Lizzo stole the show at the BET Awards when she performed “Truth Hurts,” complete with her flute solo, but she also shut down the red carpet (that was actually white) with a look she described as “the whole damn tree!”
Marko Monroe styled the bridal performance look and the red carpet ensemble that featured a House of Holland woodgrain-print minidress and disk hat. Alexx Mayo handled Lizzo’s beat using Make Up Forever, Kevyn Aucoin Beauty, Huda Beauty, and Lilly Lashes. Eri Ishizu worked her magic on the performer’s digits.
Celebrity hairstylist Shelby Swain styled Lizzo’s natural hair into an Afro bun, so her House of Holland chapeau was the highlight of the look.
“I wanted to create an iconic look, especially since Lizzo wanted to wear wood grain,” Swain explained in press materials. “I thought woodgrain hair would be perfect!”
- To create this look, I started off by prepping her hair with the Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Moisturizing Curl Conditioner. The conditioner provided a great amount of slip, which helped with [detangling] and [brought] out her luxurious curls thanks to the shea butter and pure coconut oil found in this line.
- I, then, used the Suave Professionals Nourish & Strengthen Leave-In Conditioner to deeply moisturize her hair to help protect against any damage and help fight frizz. I let her hair air dry.
- Once hair air-dried, I pulled all of the hair back and tied it up into a ponytail by gathering all the hair and wrapping it around with a hair tie.
- To ensure the bun was secure, I inserted bobby pins into the center of the bun.
- To finish her hair, I used the Suave Professionals Firm Control Finishing Hairspray, which helped seal the look for the night.