Behind the Magic of Zendaya’s Enchanted Met Gala Ensemble
The theme for the 2019 Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala was “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” It was inspired by a 1964 essay by Susan Sontag in which she defines camp as “love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration.” Camp fashion can be humorous, ironic, and extreme in nature. However, last night at the gala superstar Zendaya brought camp fashion into the realm of iconic by channeling Cinderella in her legendary blue ball gown.
Zendaya arrived to the gala in a black and blue corseted Tommy Hilfiger gown. Then, with the aid of her fairy god stylist Law Roach’s magical wand, her entire gown (including her pumpkin-carriage minaudiere) began to light from the hem up. It was truly a magical moment on fashion’s most magical red carpet.
Roach connected the Hilfiger team, who recently collaborated with Zendaya on a 1970s-inspired collection, with Hussein Chalayan, whose Spring 2017 robotic dresses inspired the fashion stylist. Roach explained that the look was a farewell, of sorts, to the Disney-Channel Zendaya people are used to seeing on their screens. The 22-year-old’s career is moving in a more mature direction with the summer drama Euphoria.
Celebrity hairstylist Ursula Stephen topped off Zendaya’s transformation into Cinderella by styling her blonde hair in a French roll. “For Zendaya, fashion almost always inspires what we do for her hair,” said Stephen in press materials. “You’ll see that with this look, it was no different as it was a very Zendaya spin on a classic Disney character.”
Stephen explains how to get Zendaya’s Met Gala updo below:
- I shampooed and conditioned this amazing hairpiece from HairSoFab with Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Sulfate-Free Cleansing Shampoo ($4.99) and Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Conditioner ($4.99).
- After the hair was properly cleansed, I then added Love Beauty and Planet Coconut Milk & White Jasmine Multi-Benefit Hair Milk ($6.99) before drying it.
- Once the hair was dry, I curled large sections of hair, [and] then applied Dove Care Between Washes Foam Dry Shampoo ($4.99) to create volume before brushing it out with a Tangle Teezer detangling brush.
- To build the French twist, I teased her hair at the root and brushed it into the twist, securing with bobby pins.
- Once the twist was where I wanted it, I pulled out her bang a bit and played with it to frame her face perfectly.
- I froze the look with TRESemmé TRES Two Unscented Extra Hold Hair Spray ($4.99)before adding her headband and sending her off to the ball.
“Next year we’re going to have to [either] chill out or come down from a helicopter like Diana Ross at the Superbowl,” Roach told Vogue. “When this goes off like it’s supposed to what else can you do!”